Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Herding Hoptoads

What a FANTASTIC weekend! I couldn't have asked for a better Memorial Day weekend! Let me get you filled in on what has happened the last couple days.

I got to sleep in Friday morning for an extra hour -- My first massage wasn't until 9:00. When I looked at my phone first thing Friday morning, I found that I had an email from Dwain. He said it was RAINING in Afghanistan! Who knew that it actually rained there? Other than that, I haven't heard much from him this weekend. He must be pretty busy. I had a full massage schedule that morning, so I didn't get done and out of the office until almost 3:00 (I had to visit with Sammie and finish up some office stuff before the weekend). After running a couple errands for Dr. Bowling (I dropped off a few checks around town) and picking up some stuff for Mom, I was headed home.

I made a call to Direct TV on the way home to schedule a service call to get our satellite re-aligned (stupid storms). I set up something for next week, but not 20 minutes after I got off the phone with them, the district manager called me to see if I would be ok with them coming out that evening. Of course that was ok! We only had to wait about an hour before Rob the repairman was at our house (again; he was here less than a month ago to re-align us the first time). Turns out, the idiot who actually installed our antenna only mounted it to the metal on the roof -- No supports, nothing. So the wind the other night just about ripped the antenna and part of the roof completely off! I'm glad that guy doesn't work for Direct TV anymore. Rob fixed our antenna (we had to borrow some long, heavy screws from Dad), and he is going to come back sometime and move our antenna from the roof to a pole in the yard. Talk about great customer service! Rob even told me to save his cell number in my phone in case we had any more problems. People say that DISH is better than Direct TV, but you couldn't pay me to switch, that's for sure.

After we got the satellite situation all figured out, Tim and I decided that we were going to make a quick run to Vincennes. We needed to get a couple things at Rural King -- steel fence posts to make into catfish rod holders, some new jeans for Tim (honestly, I don't know how anyone can be that hard on jeans), and a new pair of Justin cowboy boots (the old ones were pretty worn out). Tim and I weren't in Rural King too long, but we wanted to get something to eat for supper before we left town -- We really wanted to watch The Hangover: 2, but we didn't think we would be able to get tickets. We decided to get our supper at the China Buffet, which meant that I ate Chinese twice last week. It was delicious, and we were both miserable by the time we finished and headed home. We didn't last too long once we made it home before we headed to bed. It had been a long day, and we had big plans for Saturday.

New boots and old boots -- I think he was overdue for an upgrade. 

Our Saturday morning started out with sleep -- lots of it. We didn't get out of bed until late in the morning. Nothing could have been better. Tim slept in a little longer than I did, so I watched The King's Speech while he was sleeping. It was a great movie, but not one that Tim would enjoy watching -- Not his type -- But I really enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone. Once we finally got moving, we decided to head up to Mom and Dad's for a little while. Tim bought a new hitch for the Ranger, and he was wanting to get it installed. We wound up spending quite a bit of time there. It wasn't as easy as originally planned to get things headed in the right direction.
 
 Working Hard? or Hardly Working?

While Tim and Dad worked on the hitch, which is "shop code" for drinking beer and talking about "stuff", Mom and I made a trip to Bloomington to Bed, Bath, and Beyond. My birthday is next month, and Mom and Dad wanted to get me my present early -- A RED Kitchen-Aid Mixer! I am so excited! I am going to get so much use out of that thing! And it's red, which makes it even more awesome because it matches my kitchen. Thank you so much Momma and Pop! I LOVE it!

My new Kitchen-Aid!

While Mom and I were in Bloomington, we went next door from Bed, Bath, and Beyond to PetSmart to look around. It was the first time that Dixie has ever gone into a store like that, and she did amazing! I actually had to go into the store to buy her a leash and collar then come out and get her out of the car because I left our other leash at home. I expected Dixie to go into "Crazy Dixie" mode and want to play with everyone, but she was very well mannered and behaved like an angel.
 
 Dixie in PetSmart -- She did SO good!

By the time Mom and I made it back home (you should have seen the tornado damage south of Bloomington -- INSANE!), the guys had made a good start on the new hitch, but they weren't getting too much done at the moment. We found them sitting in lawn chairs. Both of them had a barley pop (beer), and Tim was feeding Dorito's crumbs to my old dog Bear. It was late, and we were tired, so we headed home for the evening. What a great day!

Sunday -- after sleeping in a little, but not quite as much as Saturday -- Tim and I went to Dad's shop to finish putting the new hitch together. It took us most of the day, but we got it! Now we can haul our boat when we go fishing! We worked on several other project before calling it a day. Tim and I had to screw some of the metal on the roof back down. It appears that the storms did a little more damage than we had originally thought, but it was a quick, easy fix. While Tim went back up to Dad's to work on his rod rack and get our propane tank filled up, I mowed the smaller side of the yard. It took me about an hour (Dixie and Chuck murdered a fledgling blackbird while I was mowing -- Assassins), then I was headed through the shower. Tim grilled steaks for supper, and we had mac and cheese and onion rings to go with it. It was a great supper. I love it that Tim likes grilling so much. He is really good at it, and it means that I don't always have to cook. We went to bed Sunday night with a great feeling of accomplishment. It was a productive day!

Tim didn't sleep very well last night, so he got caught up on sleeping this afternoon. I don't know how anyone can switch between nights and days like that. I have enough trouble sleeping during the night; I can't imagine sleeping during the day. I got most of the rest of the yard mowed today, but it was really hot, so I spent quite a bit of time inside in the A/C. It's just too hot and muggy to work outside on days like today. I got a wicked sunburn while I was mowing today though, so I used my Kool-Down on it (Thanks Kim for getting us some of that). Hopefully, it won't be too terribly red tomorrow while I'm at work. It's on my back though, so you won't be able to see it, but I bet I will be able to feel it.

Mowing our yard is like herding hoptoads all over the yard. There are so many out there that you have to be careful where you step. I feel like I just keep pushing the same toads all over the yard. Every pass I make moves them a little bit further. I like having them though. Maybe they will help cut down on the skeeters and those nasty buffalo gnats. I noticed today that the gnats weren't as bad as they have been, so maybe they are dying off. The day that there are no more gnats can't come soon enough. Evil little bloodsuckers!

Today was also laundry day. I tried doing a load of whites in the washer at our house, but our rusty water turned them orange. I even added some Super Iron Out (it's what I use to clean the rust out of the shower, dishwasher, etc), but it wasn't good enough. I got all our laundry washed though, so it worked out ok. Thank you to Momma and Grandma Ruth for letting me use your washing machine. I really appreciate it! We would run out of clean clothes pretty dang quickly if you weren't there to help me out.

Orange tinted socks -- Oops! Dang water! Is is too much to ask to be able to do laundry at your own house?

Tim is at work for the night, and I decided that I could finish the mowing tomorrow. I watched the new episode of River Monsters, and I'm ready for bed. Dixie and Chuck are already asleep -- Is it bad to be jealous of your pets? Tomorrow should be a great day. I have a busy week ahead of me. My massage schedule is just about filled up already, and I'm sure there is lots to work on in the office. I need to get some more Care Packages sent out to Dwain, but I have to get some more packing tape first. I can't believe that he has almost been gone for two months now. Time is really flying by, but that's totally ok with me! I can't wait to see his face again! I sure do miss my Little Brother. I've really thought about him a lot this Memorial Day. I pray that all the troops serving overseas get to come home safe and sound, and I can't thank our past generations enough for sacrificing so much to keep us safe. It makes me proud to be an American; not only today, but everyday! I will do all that I can to do my part. I know that I don't have what it takes to travel across the world and join the fight, but I will do all I can here on the home front. I love you Dwain! Keep that goofy head out of trouble! We are all very proud of you! Love you all! Dixie is telling me with her big brown eyes that it's bedtime -- So, goodnight!   :^)
Operation Saheeb -- 7 weeks 

 Tim took some pictures of the sky last week when he and Scott went fishing!

 The sky was really pretty that night!

 Tim's friend Scott caught a nice Blue Catfish last week

Different view: New boots and old boots

No comments:

Post a Comment