Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Possum and the Shovel

Wow, today was a very interesting, exciting day -- Even more than usual! But first, let me get you caught up on Monday.

Monday was another rainy day here in Southern Indiana. Tim and I thought it would be a grand idea to go turkey hunting first thing Monday morning -- And it was miserable! It was barely sprinkling when we left the house at 6:00 am, but it just kept getting worse. We finally called it quits at 8:15 and came back to the house. We at least saw a hen, so it wasn't a total bust, but it was still not a very good morning. After we got back to the house, we got something to eat and watched The Next Three Days, which wasn't the best movie I've ever seen, but it wasn't terrible either. Tim wound up falling asleep on the couch, but I stayed up and watched the movie. I think I would have been better off to take a nap. I headed to work a little after lunch for a full day of massages. I am starting the week off really well! After a good day at the office (I was right about my paycheck for last week -- Best EVER!), Sammie and I decided that we needed to make a trip to Mi Pueblo for some Mexican. It was delicious, and exactly what I needed! I love having such a great friend! After work, though, I had some flood water to deal with. It has basically been raining for weeks here, and the ground is so completely saturated that there is nowhere for the excess water to go. So -- It came back up into our house through the drain in our basement. Two flooded basements in two months! COME ON!! Grandma and her sump pump came to the rescue though, and we have been able to keep the water level to a minimum. I think it may even be done raining for a couple days, so fingers crossed, we will be done with flooding soon. I don't know how many more gloomy, rainy days my sanity can take. I need the SUN!! After getting the water pumped out of the basement, I watched a little TV, then headed to bed.

Tuesday started off with a bang, well, more of a bark really. Ten minutes before my alarm went off at 6:30 this morning, Dixie started barking and growling like crazy in the kitchen. She showed no signs of slowing down, and I had no chance for a couple more minutes of sleep, so I got outta bed and went to see what she was fussing at. When I walked in the kitchen, I found her barking through the glass door onto the porch. Well, I didn't see anything there, so I assumed that she was just barking at her reflection in the window (wouldn't be the first time). I couldn't get her to stop, so I walked over and opened the door to show her that there was nothing there. HOLY CRAP! There was something there, RIGHT THERE! I have Sterlite plastic boxes stacked right outside the door with my birdseed in them, and there was a POSSUM sitting in the big bowl on top the stack where I keep my suet cakes. He was just sitting there eating, but he scared the bejeezus out of me when he hissed at me. Dixie bailed out onto the porch, and I didn't know what to do, so I did what any self-respecting farm girl would do -- I went looking for my shotgun! I figured the possum ran out into the yard so I was going to go get him (in flip flops and my bathrobe). Turns out, I couldn't find a shell handy, so I went to the bedroom and grabbed Tim's .45 -- Way overkill I know, but it would have done the job. Turns out, the possum didn't run out into the yard -- He was hiding on the porch underneath our deep freezer. Now what the heck was I going to do?? I couldn't shoot him! What if I hit the porch? Or worse, the deep freezer!? I didn't think I was brave enough (or stupid enough) to try to drag him out, and I didn't want to go back in the house to find something else because I was afraid he would get away. So, being my mother's child, I grabbed the nearest semi-dangerous thing and wielded it like a club to hold him at bay until Tim could get home from work to help me. My weapon of choice? The short handled shovel I keep by the back door to bury scraps (and dead moles) so Dixie can't get them. So imagine what Tim must have thought when he got home. Here I was -- Standing on our porch in my bathrobe and flip flops (with awesome morning "lion's mane" hair, might I add) with a shovel for a club, pistol laying on the freezer, dog going nuts, cat trying to attack anything, with a possum cornered under the freezer. I'm surprised he didn't run as fast as he could in the other direction -- That's nuts! But hilarious! I turned the destruction of the possum over to him (he has more experience) and he made short work of solving our pest problem. So now there is one less possum in the world, and I have to figure out how to get blood stains off our porch. I would hate for someone to get the wrong impression. "No really, officer. I swear it's possum blood. No, I don't have any idea where Tim is. Last time I saw him, he was making fun of my cooking." HAHAHA! So, with all the excitement of the morning, I was a few minutes late getting to work, but I made up for it because I got a LOT accomplished this morning.

On my lunch break, I took Dwain's first care package to the post office to ship. You could not possibly squeeze anything else into that box. My package had a 20 pound weight limit, and I used 17 of those pounds to send my brother as much as I could. I want to be able to send him weekly care packages if possible. The most amazing thing is that the post office only charges $12.20 to ship a Large Flat Rate Box to an APO address! That means that they are reasonably affordable. So as long as I can afford to keep buying him stuff to put IN the care packages, I can afford to SEND the packages. A couple people have said that they would like to help out, so I have added a "Donate" button to my blog so that you can make a monetary donation to my Paypal account (That's where I pay for my shipping labels, and I can transfer it to my bank account to pay for other items). Every little bit helps, and I'm not too proud to turn it away. I would love to send him more packages than he can handle himself, so that he has to share them with the other guys in his unit. I know that he misses home and all the people he cares for, and it means a lot to him that so many people are supporting him. If you want to make a donation, just click the "Donate" button on the right side of the screen, then follow the directions to make a donation. I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate the support of our friends and family. We are truly blessed!

After lunch, we had a staff meeting, then I had a full massage schedule. It seemed like the day just flew by, and before I knew it, it was quitting time. I had an appointment after work at Hair by Holly to get the caterpillars taken off my forehead. Sometimes, it just takes a professional to get my eyebrows back in line. Thanks Holly dear! You always do a great job!

Finally, after getting some Wendy's for supper, I was headed "Home, Sweet Home." There was not TOO much water in the basement when I got home, so maybe there is hope that the monsoon season is almost over. I had intentions of being productive, but once again, I have failed. It took me almost an hour to get the "Donate" button on here, but that's because I'm super OCD and I didn't like how it looked, so I kept tweaking it. Total waste of time on my part. Now, it's almost 11:00 and I really need to go to bed, but I didn't accomplish ANY of the things I needed to get done. Oh well, there is always tomorrow I guess. I hope that the yard dries out enough that I can mow tomorrow after work and get the other half of the yard finished, but it may be a little damp still. Too much to do, too little time -- Story of my life! And I don't think it's going to get any better any time soon. I'm just a busy, busy person. I don't think I could be happy if I didn't have so much to do. It's what keeps life interesting -- Though possums on your porch is pretty dang interesting too. I think I'll sign off for the night now. I need to go pump out some more water, then it's bedtime. I've got a busy day tomorrow! But it's going to be a great day -- I just know it! Good night all!   :^)
Operation Saheeb -- Day #22

No comments:

Post a Comment